Behaviors in people with depression
Depression is a disease that affects women twice as much, and is seen every four people. The ancients called it mental cancer; Because there are patients who do not respond to drugs, even Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT). Repeated Brain Stimulation (TMS) treatment is now used only in patients who cannot respond to other treatments. But in this method, the skull does not work very well in patients thicker than 2.5 cm.
Here are the behaviors seen in patients with depression:
– They can no longer enjoy what they used to enjoy.
– Feelings of inadequacy and guilt are common.
– They have trouble concentrating on anything.
– Sometimes their despair can turn into a desire to commit suicide.
– They can completely get away from social life and become withdrawn.
– Some of them have physical complaints that cannot be found (for example, itching). This is called ‘Masked Depression’. Itching medications do not work for such complaints. However, antidepressants work.
– Suicide drafts can be seen in severe cases.
Prof. Dr. Doksat’s statement on the subject is as follows:
“It is necessary to hospitalize such serious patients. Although it was not common in the past, insulin coma treatment has no effect anymore. The best thing is to still use antidepressant drugs we know and We psychiatrists decide which of them to use. I am still writing which antidepressants are effective. Among these, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and serotonin reuptake blockers, which we call SNRIs, are the foremost. Cognitive behavioral therapies are also useful in selected cases.
Hypnosis is only effective in overcoming anxiety, worries, and distress. With a good treatment, the majority of patients recover. However, in patients who do not respond, ‘very rarely’, the front side of the brain surgery. In the region of the brain, two incisions are made in the front of the brain with a special technique and the remaining complaints are also relieved. This is called a frontal leukotomy. Today, it is only used in patients who are extremely resistant to treatment and it is good for obsessions. “